Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pokki constantly Page Faulting

I recently installed Windows 8 in Parallels. I was missing the old start menu, so I installed this app called Pokki. It's a replacement for the missing menu. I was checking out the new OS, going through the Task Manager, when I decided to add the Page Fault Delta and Threads columns under the Details tab, sorted by PF Delta, and noticed that there were two separate Pokki processes. The larger of the two with 29 threads was (is) constantly page faulting:

My mac is overheating, possibly in part due to this (and parallels itself), and I'm not running anything else intensive. I've contacted Pokki help/support, and I'll update with what they say. Edit: They replied saying that this behaviour is normal and should not be a cause for concern. Hm.

1 comment:

  1. My Toshiba laptop L505D-S5965 (aka "To-shitbox"--will never buy another of theirs) suddenly began rapidly overheating and shutting off. Today, found one of two Pokkis eating CPU. Killed it. So far today, no overheating. Draw own conclusions.

    ReplyDelete